Registering is the first step to voting. You can check your registration status, update your registration, or register for the first time using the resources below.
How to Register to Vote
*You must have a valid Michigan Driver’s License or State ID in order to register online. Please click Register by Mail if you do not have a valid Michigan Driver’s License or State ID.
Who Can Register to Vote
To register to vote in Michigan, you must be:
- You’re a U.S. citizen
- A resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote for at least 30 days before election day
- At least 18 years of age (by election day)
- Not serving a sentence in jail or prison
You may pre-register to vote if you are 17.5 years old, and meet all of the other eligibility requirements to vote. If you pre-register to vote, you will automatically be registered to vote on your 18th birthday.
For more information on eligibility and registration, view our FAQ.
I’ve moved. Do I have to update my registration?
If you have moved, you must re-register to vote. The process to re-register is the same as the process to register to vote. You can re-register online or re-register by mail.
You can register to vote in person at any of the following places:
- At a Secretary of State branch office
- At your City or Township Clerk’s office or your County Clerk’s office
- At any State agency that provides public assistance or services to people with disabilities
- Through a voter registration drive